Restaurant Review: Mesa Grill New York


Grilled Lamb Porterhouse Chops

Being an avid food network follower, I watch majority if not all of the shows currently airing on that channel (I know I’m not the only one out there!). How did I get so attached? I think it all began with the original Iron Chef challenges, the very first kitchen stadium, but the infatuation only grew when they introduced the American version. Next came the spinoffs, so to speak, especially from Chef Bobby Flay, Boy Meets Grill, Throwdown, etc. Needless to say my TV pretty much only requires one channel subscription and I’d be happy. So when I realized that I was going to NY, the foodie capital of the States, how could I not go to a celebrity chef restaurant, one that I’ve watched many a times over on the television? Chef Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill! (Ps - I apologize for the pictures, the lighting at Mesa Grill definitely wasn't set for photos)

Atmosphere: A casual dining area highlighted by bright orange accents and a Mexican flare.

Price Range: Mid $20s - $30s

Appetizers
Food and Wine: There was quite a big group of us dining at Mesa Grill that night, which worked out well because it allowed us to sample many different types of appetizers, in addition to the many types of bread served (including cornbread). Starting with the Blue Corn Pancake, served with barbecued duck and a spicy star anise sauce; it reminded me of the Chinese BBQs that I so very much enjoy. The Yellow Cornmeal Crusted Oysters were topped with a nice spicy curry and mango salsa; the flavours didn’t over power the oyster which was a nice compliment. The Rough Cut Tuna Nachos was fresh tasting and had just the right amount of citrus to keep the dish light, especially with the entrees being served up next.

Mesa Grill serves up a daily plate special for each day of the week, which was Artic Char that night, but I already had my eye on a big piece of protein the Grilled Lamb Porterhouse Chops. Two four ouce chops cooked to a perfect medium rare placed over a red chile rosemary lime sauce. The lamb was succulent without being gamey and the green corn pudding was to die for. I also ordered the double baked potato, which didn’t come close to my lamb, the horseradish was a little overpowering and was sadly forgotten on the side.


Cornmeal Crusted Chile Relleno
One thing we didn’t forget however, was the dessert, even though we were all stuffed from the meal so far, after reading “Dessert Sampling” how could we resist? How could I resist? The dessert sampler came with a hefty portion of all the featured desserts minus the dessert cookie and the churros, which was fine by me because it included: Chocolate Berry Trifle, Deep Dish Banana Cream Pie, Pineapple Buttermilk Upside Down Cake, Crushed Blueberry Lime Tart, Peach and Blackberry Cobbler and a Toasted Coconut Layer Cake. I enjoyed them all, but if I had to pick a favorite it was definitely the Deep Dish Banana Cream Pie!

The wine list at Mesa Grill focused mainly on Californian wines, so if you’re looking for old world wines, might not be the place to do so. They feature the grape varietals of California to go with their Mexican inspired menu, there are still many delicious wines to choose from so don’t let the old world, new world hiccup hold you up!

Dessert Sampling
My Picks: Yellow Cornmeal Crusted Oysters, Grilled Lamb Porterhouse Chops and the Deep Dish Banana Cream Pie

Overall: Afterwards chatting with the other dinner guests, it seemed like everybody had their opinions about the meal. As for me, there were definitely certain dishes that I would order again and some I might pass on because they weren’t quite as memorable as others. However the memory of eating at a celebrity chef restaurant was, especially a chef on the food network channel.

Mesa Grill
102 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10011
(212) 807-7400
Website: http://mesagrill.com/newyorkcity/


Mesa Grill on Urbanspoon

Comments