Let's Start It Off Spicy

Jerk Chicken
Another year is upon us and as always people develop new resolutions for the year, which is fantastic, but one thing that has always eluded me is, why does it always have to be at the beginning of a new year? Why can’t each day be a day where people start a new resolution? Perhaps it’s easier to track progress starting from January 1? But then if that’s the case, are the masses looking back at the end of December on any given year at how they’ve progressed in their resolutions? I know, lots of questions and I seem a little miffed about this resolution thing…well I’m not…not really, ok, maybe just a little because of this one reason. It gets to me because when I enter the gym in January (any day, pick a number that you like and insert it here) I am stuck. Stuck? Yes, stuck, I can’t get on a treadmill to do my laps, I can’t get enough floor space to get in my workout and I definitely can’t find enough weights to do much of anything. Since I normally workout during my lunch hour, which apparently is the time when the rest of the world is working out as well (especially in January), I seriously don’t end up doing much of what I wanted to in the first place, it usually ends up being whatever machine I can get my hands on.

Don’t get me wrong, its great that people are working out and being fit, but I’m more on the “it’s a lifestyle change” boat and if people are only their to appease their egos and get on the “new years resolution fitness” boat, then I can definitely do without a few of those on the treadmills that I was about to use. Ok ok, that’s my rant, but I just wanted to say, to everyone on a new resolution, good for you, but just make sure that at the end of the year aka December, you’re looking back and you ARE accessing your progress, hopefully still going strong and for those of you, here’s a healthy recipe I wanted to share with you to celebrate your new better self…but for the few of you, please please please can I have my treadmill back?

Since everyone is trying to get back in to their grooves after the holidays here’s a great recipe spice things up, where the spiciness can be adjusted dependent on your heat tolerance level. Hopefully it’ll fast track you on your way to a better healthier self as well (especially when you’re looking back at this in December!)!

Cooking the Chicken
Nutritional Tidbit: Spicy foods have long been touted by nutritionist to aid in fat burn. This is due to the capsaicin found in spicy foods which causes our bodies to sweat to cool down our systems. Plus, since the food is spicy, this requires us to eat slower which allows our stomachs to register that we’re full faster. By eating foods slower, our brain can actually register that we are full preventing us from scarfing down everything in site to appease our hungry stomachs.

Jerk Chicken Recipe
Rub Ingredients:
1 tbsp ground allspice
1 tbsp ground thyme
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cayenne
2 tbsp chili flakes
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp salt

Cooking ingredients:2 cloves garlic
1 onion minced
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp canola oil
1 /2 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp lime juice
6-8 chicken thighs

Jerk Chicken Served
Preparation:Combine all the dry rub ingredients and rub on the chicken. Let sit overnight in refrigerator, if cooking straight away add in soy sauce, white vinegar, orange juice and lime juice (if cooking the next day, keep the wet ingredients separate and add in cooking process).

Heat oil in pot over medium high heat, add in garlic and onions, cook until onions are opaque. Add in the chicken only without the sauce and let them get a good sear on all sides.

Pour in the wet ingredients or the rest of the marinade and turn heat down to medium low. Cover and let simmer for about 20-25 mins.

Remove the chicken, let the sauce reduce. Season with more salt, pepper and chilis if it isn’t spicy enough. Pour sauce over chicken and serve over rice.

Enjoy!

Comments