Restaurant Review: Fuze on Fourth


Tartar Trio

I don’t know when and how it happened, but social media seems to have taken over my life. I can barely recall a time where I didn’t need a quick fix from my phone to update me on all the goings on around me. Twitter, facebook, blogs and my new found pinterest, can almost define me as a person, ok, maybe not entirely, but a good portion of the foodie side of me. People who follow me on any of those sites will realize that I love food, I workout so I can eat said food, and that I love all nutritional facts and other random health info, so basically…food related things.

It’s really no wonder that I enjoy getting all the up to date information on all the food related events happening in my little piece of the world. So I was pretty ecstatic when I found out that there were a few more new restaurants opening in Calgary and one of them happened to Fuze on Fourth, which I just so happened to make some time to sample a couple of weeks ago (amongst my busy social media life).

Atmosphere: A casual but chic dining area with a great glass ceiling, while also featuring a cozy lounge area.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $30+

Fettucine
Food and Wine: It was very tempting to want to order everything off of the globally inspired menu since all the dishes all sounded so unique and different, but we ended up settling on the Classic Trio of Tartar to start. The dish came with scallop, tuna and salmon, each with a unique twist to feature the fish in a different style. My favourite was the salmon tartar but my dining companions all seemed to enjoy the tuna.

Next we all decided to share our entrée plates and ordered the Thai Style Risotto of Shellfish, Fettucine of Tiger Prawns and the chef’s feature of Braised Bison Short Ribs. The risotto was served with scallops, tiger prawns and lobster over risotto style basmati rice in a creamy curry sauce. The shellfish were very fresh and the rice was velvety and smooth, the only complaint around the table was that there wasn’t enough risotto for an entrée sized portion, aside from that; it was an exquisite dish and definitely the crowd favourite.

Risotto
The fettucine and the short ribs weren’t as much of a hit around the table. Both were seasoned very well and the flavour of the ribs came through the sauce nicely. Except the pasta was cooked beyond al dente, which is how I prefer my pasta done and the short ribs could have used a little more braising. However, that being said, the overall tastes of both dishes were still appetizing and nothing was left after everyone was done.

Sticky Toffee Pudding
For dessert, we decided to share the Sticky Toffee Pudding (my favorite dessert ever!) and the Pineapple Ravioli. The pudding was soft and fluffy as all sticky toffee puddings should be, it was served with vanilla ice cream and an amazing caramel toffee sauce which wasn’t overly sweet. The pineapple ravioli was refreshing and a nice contrast to the pudding. I thought the pineapple ravioli was pineapple stuffed in a dough like shell, but quite the contrary, the pineapple itself was the shell with a mango mousse on the inside and the two flavours melded together wonderfully, again I just wished it was bigger since it was so tasty. I would even try making it at home since it was so light and fresh.

Pineapple Ravioli
As for the wine, Fuze has introduced what they call Wine Flights, which are sets of 2oz wines, ranging from light to bold red and white wines. Each flight will take you from a lighter bodied wine to a fuller bodied wine, which will flow nicely with your meal (if you enjoy any particular wine, they also offer full bottles of any flight wines). There a several different wine flights to choose from and a great way to taste many different wines throughout your meal. Fuze also carries a good selection of wines from all over the world and are very well priced. We ended up with the Satellite Pinot Noir, which was a rather light bodied Pinot but was a nice pairing to our shellfish heavy meal.

My Picks: Trio of Tartar, Sticky Toffee Pudding

Fuze Menu
Overall: It’s always nice to be the first to sample something new and different and I believe that Fuze has an interesting menu with the global / international theme. I can’t wait to come back and to try other items off of their menu and maybe even some of the lunch or dinner specials they’re tweeting about through social media.

Fuze on Fourth
2116 4th Street SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 457-4481
Website: Facebook Fanpage

Fuze on Fourth on Urbanspoon

Comments