Lightened Up Hollandaise Sauce


Healthy Hollandaise Sauce

There have been a lot of new changes around me lately and I’ve found some people not responding well to them. People normally don’t respond or cope with change all that well, but what they don’t realize is, not all changes are bad. Some open new doors and create great opportunities that might not have occurred if the change never happened. So I try not to look at change as a bad thing, but instead I get excited about it. Looking forward to the different results that may occur and the exhilaration of it can all be very exciting.

Of course this translates over to my cooking as well. This happens a lot with different recipes I’m trying. Especially when I have to alter the classics, recipes that have been passed down through the generations, it makes it harder to change, but not impossible. Small adjustments don’t necessarily mean that the taste of the recipe will be altered. We can still keep the taste of the final product intact while making it easier, faster or best of all…healthier!

A good twist on a beloved classic is the eggs benedict. Brunch has really taken off and the eggs benny has been brought to a whole new level! Ingredients can now feature lobster, smoked salmon, tomatoes, avocado and switching up the hollandaise sauce. Since restaurants usually focus on ingredients that bring out flavour, they don’t really center their attention on the healthy aspects of a recipe. So when I cook at home, I try to create a healthier alternative without sacrificing taste.


Healthy Eggs Benedict

My version of the eggs benedict, includes a classically poached egg served over a homemade buttermilk biscuit and a light hollandaise sauce. Sometimes I would add a bit of prosciutto or asparagus if I wanted something lighter than ham or bacon.

I’ve included the recipe for the lightened up hollandaise below, it was adapted from the Eating Well Magazine. I’ve made a few adjustments myself and feel free to do the same. Remember…sometimes change can be good!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large egg
1 tbsp lemon juice
Additional Salt and Pepper



Preparation:
In a small saucepan, whisk together half of the buttermilk, all of the cornstarch, salt, and cayenne pepper until everything are combined.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg and slowly whisk in the remainder of the buttermilk.

Set the stove top to low-medium heat and warm up the small saucepan. Keep whisking the buttermilk mixture.

Slowly add in the egg mixture, a bit at a time as not to cook the egg too fast.

Continue to simmer the sauce on the stove until it thickens, keep whisking to prevent lumps from forming.

Once the sauce comes to a nice consistency. Remove it from the heat and add in a bit of lemon juice, pepper and a bit of salt to taste.

You may also want to add in a tbsp of melted butter if you wish. I let my mood dictate that.

Serve warm over top eggs benedict.

Makes 3-4 Servings.

Comments