10 Year Anniversary at Catch


This past weekend was a blur, but in a good way. It felt like we were attending event after event and we truly got to experience all the great things about Calgary. All the foodie things anyhow, like the Eat Real YYC event at Casel Marche, Lilac Festival and Catch’s 10 Year Anniversary Celebration.

I usually drag my husband along to all these events. Although I know secretly inside he can’t wait for me to invite him and I wasn’t surprised at how much fun he had this weekend. Specifically at Catch’s anniversary event! It seemed like they had everything that a great party required. Starting off with a nice glass of bubbly and some truffled popcorn (which I admit to having had more than 2 bags), an assortment of interactive games, where you could win more glasses of wine or bubbly and delicious oysters served with a sweet and spicy sauce or a mignonette. They were very fresh and had just the right amount of salty briny flavour, I probably could have eaten just oysters that evening and been happy, but there was so much more to be had.

It seemed like an endless appetizers were coming from the kitchen the whole time. They served these amazing tempura styled shrimp which were extremely crunchy on the outside which were sweet and juicy on the inside. Perfectly cooked ahi tuna bites and fresh scallop ceviche. I also really enjoyed the creamy lobster bisque, with lots of flavour and I can’t forget the tangy bruschetta. However the star of the event was definitely the seafood tower.


My husband loves seafood, so we were both in awe of everything that was served on the tower, lobsters, snow crab claws, mussels, clams, and shrimp. You name it, it was there…with different sauces to sample and savour. It was a bit awkward at first to grab half a lobster and put it on your plate, however after looking at all the others that were digging in, I couldn’t hold back much longer. Regardless, it was an interesting sight. Let’s just say I had to work on my balancing skills and I also apologize to those that were sitting nearby when I had to break in to them…with no luck of finding a cracker!

When the band started playing, it was really great seeing everybody get on the dance floor! However, I knew I needed to have a couple more drinks before there was any dancing on my end. Luckily Catch was offering a lovely Pinot Noir, the Meiomi 2010. It was lush and had hints of berry notes throughout. Not too acidic which made it a very nice sipping wine. I never did get the name of the sparkling wine, possibly because I was too busy drinking it, but it was light and complimented the seafood nicely.

All in all it was a great time and I really enjoyed catching up with everybody that attended the event in addition to the food and venue. What a great way to end an amazing weekend, I personally can’t wait to see what Catch will think of for their next big celebration!

Comments