Calgary's La Boulangerie


I can’t even begin to express how excited I am for the summer patio season! Just walking down 4th street the other weekend, I noticed all the restaurants setting up their patios and ones that didn’t currently have one, working hard on getting one built asap. That’s when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted some very French looking chairs situated along side this new bakery. A glance at the sign and next thing I know I was sitting in one of them at La Boulangerie awaiting the arrival of my food order.


Atmosphere: Patio reminiscent of the bistros of Paris, with a large open interior bakery.

Price Range: $5 - $10s

Food: Ever since my very first trip to France I’ve fallen in love with their pastries and I’ve had a very hard time trying to replicate the experience (there are a few other places in Calgary, message me if you want to know where). So I was extremely excited to have located a bakery that offered up that potential, especially when its name was La Boulangerie. I expected nothing less.


Luckily for me, when I ordered my first croissant, the initial bit was flaky, fully of buttery goodness. It might not have been exactly like Paris but was pretty darn close. I’m sure the butter of France has something to do with that and beyond their control. It seems like I’ve finally found the bakery I was looking for and the mighty croissant can no longer elude me.

So it was only natural that I moved on to other yummy goodies they offered. Their Paris Brest which consists of a choux pastry filled with hazelnut cream is another favorite of mine. The pastry itself was light and fluffy while the cream was not overly sweet and full of hazelnut flavour. My husband, who was at first a skeptic, thinking that it looked a bit heavy was pleasantly surprised and is now a convert.

We also had the chance to try their Chaussons Aux Pommes (Apple Turnovers) and they were not like any ordinary turnover. The apples were soft and perfectly sweeten with lots of cinnamon and spices. It was all wrapped in a buttery puff pastry shell. It felt like I was eating an apple croissant because it was so light and fluffy. A perfect companion to a nice latte or cappuccino, which is also available there!


My Picks: Chaussons Aux Pommes, Almond Croissant

Overall: I think I’ve found my early morning patio hangout for the summer. If you’re nearby 4th be sure to drop by and pick up a couple goodies for the road or enjoy it in the sun, but be prepared to fight for the few coveted tables. It might not be Paris, but it’ll do.

La Boulangerie
2435 4 St SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 973-4824

La Boulangerie on Urbanspoon

Comments