Pumpkin Bread (to use up the leftover halloween pumpkin)


Every year around this time I’m madly searching around the internet to find new recipes to use up my pumpkin leftovers from the Halloween pumpkin and one can only eat so many pumpkin pies. Its easy to let your imagination sore when it comes to pumpkin recipes because it’s such a versatile ingredient, you can use it in ravioli, make it in to fruit butters or my favorite, breads and cakes (I know, not overly imaginative but I can't help but crave them).

So even when I’m searching for that special recipe, I usually narrow it down to some sort of pumpkin bread. This year was no different. I did end up finding a delicious yet slightly healthy recipe which uses water to increase the moistness of the loaf. Since pumpkin itself is so sweet, I upped the amount of pumpkin puree and decrease the added sugar for an overall healthier recipe. You can find the original one here, but I hope you enjoy the slight tweaks I’ve made. This will definitely be one of my go tos from now on but I don't think I'll ever be able to stop the search for new and amazing recipes. ;)


Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground mace
4 tbsp butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup packed pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup water

 
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper or you can grease the pan.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and mace. Whisk lightly until blended and set aside. Feel free to play with different spices to make the flavour all your own.

Beat the butter, sugar and oil together in a separate mixing bowl until it becomes fluffy. I prefer the use of salted butter which doesn’t require me to use salt, but if you’re using unsalted butter be sure to add in a pinch of salt for added flavour.

Mix in the pumpkin puree. Once fully combined, crack in one egg at a time and beat until it’s just incorporated.

I would suggest completing the next couple steps by hand instead of using the mixer. Slowly sift in the dry mixture while stirring by hand.

Add in the vanilla extract and the water while continuing to slowly stir the batter. Don’t over mix to avoid a the batter getting too tough.

Pour the in to the loaf pan and bake in the oven for 1 hour.

Insert a toothpick in the center to confirm that the loaf is fully cooked. If not return to oven for another 10-15 mins.

Remove from the oven and let it cool before serving.

Enjoy!

Comments