Restaurant Review: Muku Japanese Ramen


We’ve had a pretty warm and snow free winter so far, but somehow this hasn’t stopped me from craving warm and comforting dishes. I suppose it’s just that time of year where I just want all things soothing, which is why I’ve been finding myself eating more warm soupy meals lately. Ramen is definitely up there on my list when I think of something warm and comforting.

Atmosphere: A tiny cozy noodle house meant for smaller groups of diners. Be sure to arrive early to avoid lineups.

Price Range: Mid $10s

Food: When you first enter Muku you’re reminded that you’re at a restaurant specializing in ramen noodles and ramen alone. They don’t serve sushi here. They do however have some small bites to start off your meal while you’re still waiting for your noodle bowl and we did just that. Starting with some crispy Deep Fried Squid served with mayo for dipping. The squid were crunchy and lightly battered. It went nicely with the mayo which is my dip of choice. However, I did find that they were a bit oily but since it was only a snack sized portion it wasn’t too overwhelming.


I was super excited for my Spicy Tonkotsu Ramen with pork (chashu), fresh green onion, baby corn, Japanese fish cake (Naruto) in a thick savory pork bone and soy based broth topped with a dollop of hot sauce. Before I even dug in I admired the cloudiness and aromas coming off of the broth, both signifying a great tonkotsu bowl. I really enjoyed the broth used, you could really taste the depth of flavour and how they’ve been able to extract the essence of the pork bones. There weren’t too many toppings included but the noodles themselves had a really nice texture. They were chewy, not gummy and held up well against the broth. I liked the added spice to the soup. It wasn’t too hot but just a touch of lingering spice at the end of the bite.

The hubby ordered the Miso Ramen with chashu slices, green onion, corn kernels, boiled bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, carrots and dried seaweed all in a chicken and fish broth with miso paste for flavouring. Again the noodles were perfectly cooked in his bowl of ramen. The broth was still hearty, with lots of nutty sweetness even though it’s made with the use of chicken and fish instead of pork bones. If you like your chashu aka slices of pork then you’ll like this option. The pork at Muku is much leaner than what we’re used to but it’s also perfect for those that aren’t a fan of the fatty pork, but the flavour of the pork itself is still very good. My husband did find the portion sizes a bit smaller than other ramen places we’ve visited, so for those that have a larger appetite make sure to let your servers know so they can suggest either additional noodles or toppings so you don’t leave feeling unsatisfied.


My Pick: Tonkotsu Ramen (regular or spicy)

Overall: Specializing in ramen means they do it well. The noodles are perfectly cooked and the broth is hearty and flavourful. Personally I enjoy more toppings on my ramen, there is an option to add additional items to your bowl so feel free to experiment and I hope you all keep warm during this season especially with some ramen in your stomach!

Muku Japanese Ramen
326 14 Street NW
Calgary, AB

Muku Japanese Ramen on Urbanspoon

Comments