Restaurant Review: Big T's BBQ


Stampede is in full swing and what’s better than a bit of BBQ to satisfy your stampede cravings. Yes you can make your way over to the grounds to get your fill or you can avoid the line up frustrations and get some delicious BBQ at Big T’s. I’ve been meaning to visit Big T’s for as long as I can remember but for some reason never made my way there. Luckily for me I did earlier this year because boy have I been missing out.

Atmosphere: Family style restaurant serving big portions in a boisterous surrounding.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $30+


Food & Drinks: Knowing that we were going to have a pretty meat heavy meal, we decided to start with some greens. Both the Mixed Green Salad or the Caesar are classic and safe choices. They’re exactly what you expect the salads to be so you don’t have to worry about ordering something you’re not expecting.

As our starters we had the T’s Smoked Chicken Wings, that’s correct, smoked chicken wings! They were cooked in their signature wing rub and served with a spicy ranch dip. It was nice to see wings being served differently opposed to the normal fried version. They were tasty and full of flavour indicating that you can still get a great wing without the use of the deep fryer. We also had a side of the Shack Fries, which is a basket of fries covered with spicy homemade chili and cheddar cheese. I’m normally not a fan of toppings on my fries, but I really did enjoy the chili so it was a nice change. Essentially you’re looking at elevated chili cheese fries.


Now on to the mains, if you’re here for lunch I recommend their Brisket Sandwich. It’s nothing fancy, sliced brisket piled high on a bun, but the brisket truly is the star. You can mix and match the different flavour of BBQ sauces that they offer (sweet, mild and spicy) to see which one suits your taste buds best. The brisket itself is tender, full of smoky flavour, not to mention the seasoning they use here matches it perfectly. Needless to say it didn’t take long to inhale the entire thing.

If you’re looking for something more substantial, they also offer various platters that are made up of each of their signature meat dishes. We ordered the Priscilla Platter which was perfect for 2 (or even 3 people). It came with that delicious sliced brisket, pulled pork, their famous St.Louis ribs, half a chicken, coleslaw, beans and cornbread. The portion size is more than generous and it’s a great way to sample a bit of each type of meat. My favorite was the brisket and the ribs. I did find the pulled pork and chicken a bit on the drier side but that’s because I love dark meat chicken and a bit of fattier pork. They were still delicious when doused in their housemade BBQ sauces.


To end the meal, you have to try the Wild Turkey Bourbon Pecan Pie. Not just a pecan pie, but made with added bourbon to provide that extra depth of flavour and topped with chocolate sauce. They also serve it with a side of vanilla ice cream, which is just the proverbial icing on the cake. The pie is chewy and crunchy at the same time. Its nicely sweetened and the flavours just all go very well together. Truly a classic and more!

Big T’s offers lots of different beverage choices, but if you’re not looking for something alcoholic then I highly recommend their Housemade Iced T. Brewed to perfection with just the right amount of sweetness, nothing like the store bought iced teas that we’re used to, this is classic stuff and made just the way I like it!

My Picks: The Brisket with Spicy BBQ Sauce, Wild Turkey Bourbon Pecan Pie


Overall: Since my initial visit I’ve already been back more times than I can count, helps that it’s just around the corner from my neighbourhood! So stampede or not I know I’ll be there again and again for some of their amazing BBQ eats.

Big T’s BBQ & Smokehouse – Banff Trail Location
2138 Crowchild Trail NW
Calgary, AB
(403) 284-5959
Website: bigtsbbq.com

Big T's BBQ and Smokehouse Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments